Friday 2 September 2011

Wk19, D4 - Acupuncture

I sat too long at the computer this morning. My back was quite painful.
I had the physio at lunch time. This was not the person I usually see as she was away. I was intrigued to see what a new person would say. I told her I was feeling pain down my leg if I sat for too long. She didn't like the sound of that and told me that's a sign of my back getting worse not better. She got me bending in all directions as my usual physiotherapist does and immediately asked if I had been diagnosed with scoliosis! That was a worry. Then she said my spine looked off centre probably because I wasn't standing straight.
I lay on the bed and she massaged my back then asked if I had a problem with needles. I said no. Then, "have you had acupuncture before?" Again I said no. I am not one for 'alternative' nonsense I prefer tested proven science but as my back was bad I thought I would give it a go. If anything at least I could say I tried it. She put the needles in. I was very surprised I didn't feel them, only the tapping as she tapped them into my back. One of them she put in however was really uncomfortable so she took it out and put it in a different place which was fine. She left me for 5 minutes "while the blood flow increases round the area" I can see how blood flow would increase around an area with 6 needles stuck in there, but if its blood flow that's needed my hot water bottle would do the same. She also explained the needles would put tiny holes in the spasmed muscle which, would allow the muscles to stretch out more afterwards. I can see the logic there too. After 5 minutes or so she took the needles out, again I didn't feel them at all apart from the last one which was excruciating! And she did it slowly telling me the muscle was very tight around that one. You don't say!!
The verdict? I spent the day with the worse back pain I have had in a long time. I got my hot water bottle and lay on the sofa for a few hours until I was able to stand up straight without too much ado. Acupuncture is not for me at all. I'm glad my usual physiotherapist is back next week. Hubby is insisting I go to my GP and get an MRI but I really don't think it's needed. Surely if it's a disc problem it would hurt all the time and be getting worse not better?

Exercise - station walk 141 calories burned
Food -  1051 calories
Breakfast/lunch
large bowl of muesli with milk
Tea
Dinner
Home made fish pie
wine

No comments:

Post a Comment