Friday 1 July 2011

Wk10, D4. My new training regime

I walked the station run this morning because I had a run to do today. After much deliberation I decided to start from the beginning with Getrunning - Couch to 5k again, although this time, a bit faster. I wanted to slow jog the walks and run the runs.

The training session for today was 8 x 1 minute runs with 1 1/2/ minutes walks/jogs between and a 5 minute warm up and cool down walk either end. I walked the warm up, then burst into a run so much I was completely puffed at the end of the first minute! I slowed to a very slow jog and breathed deeply, contained myself and tried the next run a bit slower. I was still puffed and had to walk half  of the next 1 1/2 minutes. I found it very difficult to control how fast to go. I thought the run part should be significantly different to my slow jog but doing it that way was very, very hard going. Still, I covered 2.18 miles/3.5 km over 28.5 minutes.
I have mentioned before that my husband is a runner so, over dinner, I discussed with him the best thing to do. My goal is to get my 5k time down from 40 minutes to 30 minutes. I researched on the internet earlier in the day but the advice seems to be split between running further than 5k and the speed will come or running the 5k but practising it faster. I know that if all I do is practice faster then I would probably give up all together. I don't do difficult!
We have decided that I will continue with three runs a week, the third being the 5k parkrun on Saturday mornings. So, on Tuesday I will run further than 5k increasing the distance by 10% each week but jogging slowly, then on Thursdays I will do fartlek style but walk the walks instead of jogging them and run the runs fast and do this for 30 minutes. Sounds good to me. Now I have a plan I am much happier about my training. I must admit since finishing the C25K programme I feel I have been flailing about in the water with regards to what to do next. I can see how people just stop running.
Oh and I haven't got used to runmeter. I will try it again, but I have a history  with runkeeper on the computer and don't want to lose it. Looks like I will stick with runkeeper from now on though.

Exercise - 642 calories
Food - 1595 calories
Breakfast
2 oatibix with 160 ml 1% milk
Lunch (on the run so a bit odd)
105g grilled chicken
Apple
150g 0% fat Greek yoghurt with 125g banana
Tea
Afternoon
2 slim biscuits (caramelised style you get in a restaurant)
Tea
Dinner - restaurant
11g pretzels
Chicken salad
3 glasses of wine (oops)
Cappuccino

No comments:

Post a Comment