Monday 18 July 2011

Weeks 11 and 12, Results and reflection- I went on holiday,so here is two weeks of stuff to tell you

Hi, thanks for looking in on me while I was away. I have just come back from a wonderful two weeks away with 5 nights in Barcelona and 10 nights in the Loire Valley in France. I had a little access to the internet in Barcelona but none at all in France, hence the lack of posting. But I am back now so here goes......

I did not continue with mynetdiary calorie counting while I was on holiday because that's just not on at all. Anyway, it's impossible/embarrassing/guilt ridden to guess the calories in tapas, cocktails, cheese boards, mousse au chocolate (delicious!), steak frites and carafes of wine! I left the calorie counting behind so as to enjoy my holiday and the delights of both places but, I am pleased to say, I did continue with my running.

Having hubby with me for every run was a real boost to the motivation. I discussed with him the training I wanted to do and my goals. After my success of yet another pb on my parkrun the Saturday morning, before we flew to Barcelona, I wanted to up my 5k distance. So I am going to do one long run a week adding 250 meters each time, one fartlek style and one 5k
Run 1, for my first holiday run was a long one at 5.25k along the sea front in the searing heat, sweating buckets, but managed it. Running along the Barcelona seafront is really quite beautiful.
Run 2 was in France and fartlek style. I didn't have a route set out but we were in the middle of farmland and miles of vineyards so it wasn't going to be too difficult to run in. I started with a 1 minute walk and then a 1 minute fast run. After 3 of those my lungs were fit to burst so Hubby suggested I take a 2 minute walk between the runs. This worked much better for me and we were out for just over 30 minutes - back in time for breakfast.
Run 3 was one that hubby does every day when we are in France to the next village. Before this holiday, he would run the 5k there and I would pick him up in the car and drive back. As we had no-one to pick us up he took the car there, ran back, then ran there again with me. If you're following this you'll work out that he ran 10k. Some of this route included slight hills which I have not run before so it was a challenge to do. My lungs coped very well but I really felt it in my thighs. It's a nice feeling, to feel like you have really worked your muscles.
Run 4 was another long one. I wanted to tag on 250 metres to each long run so I ran for 5.5k. We took another route, some of which was up hill again - more so than last time, but the views of the vineyards and farmhouses and seas of yellow sunflowers was worth it. I struggled at one point and had to walk for a minute but I then picked up the pace and carried on.
Run 5 was due to be a fartlek again but I had slept awkwardly or something so my back was very uncomfortable. With each step of the run my back jarred, walking was fine, so I tried to slow jog instead but when you have a bad back it seems to take all your energy away. I walked back to the house while hubby went off on his run. I did a lot of stretching for my back over the next few days until we arrived home yesterday (Sunday).
I would have gone out for a run once we got home but actually didn't realise how tired we were so caught up on The Apprentice (brilliant), the last episode of Luther (very brilliant) and the first episode of the new Torchwood (which has gone all American. Dr Pratt from E.R is in it :-))
Anyway. I digress. So, this morning was my weigh in (dreading it) and my first station run for two weeks. My back is a little better from all the stretching. My station run was the fastest time ever!!!!!!! 16.30 minutes!! I am very pleased with that indeed! I want to get it down to 15 minutes eventually. It started at 25 minutes about 4 months ago :-))
Also, my weigh in was nowhere near as bad as I though it would be. I only put on 11oz! I was expecting 2 or 3 lbs so I am really pleased with that too.
So back to the blogging, back to mynetdiary and I need to find some hills to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment