Sunday 19 June 2011

Wk8, D6 I just ran my first, ever, 5k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I first heard of parkrun  a couple of years ago through a friend who regularly runs, but at the time I wasn't interested. I rediscovered it again a few months back when I started this running thing while I was looking for 5ks to do locally to me. I took a mental note of it at the time. Then, when another blogger, runningsam, (thanks Sam :-)) and runner on the getrunning programme did the park run 5k I thought to look at it again and registered, for free, both myself and my husband.
This morning hubby wanted to go to the park and maybe do the run. My plan was to do my run in another part of the park. Somehow, it didn't work out like that. Once I saw there were children, people with dogs and prams being pushed I thought it looked more inviting, less scary. So I decided to do my 28 minute run as part of the 5k and see how I get on, highly expecting to walk half of it. The run started, so on went the runkeeper to track my pace and calories burned and on went the getrunning week 8 run 3. Well, as I started my 5 minute warm up walk, I quickly found myself almost alone in the park with just a few stragglers with push chairs and indignant children at the back while the main body of people disappeared into the distance. I felt a surge of panic that by the time I finish they would have all packed up and gone home for lunch! So about 30 seconds later I started to run.
I ran and ran and ran, a bit like Forrest Gump, well, only a bit. I overtook children, I overtook a lady not more than 15 years older than me, she overtook me and I over took her again, kids with dads overtook me and I overtook them. I kept my steady pace all the way through. I ran 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 28 minutes "should now be stopping and stretching ready for the next run" (getrunning commentary) but I still had further to go. The end was in sight, my legs where good, my breathing was fine, people where clapping me, hubby let out a loud "hey" as he looked up and saw me running to the finish line.
 I only bloomin' well ran the whole 5k in 40.15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!
Zippidy do dahh. My first ever 5k! And I haven't even finished the get running programme yet! I have a week to go. The last run being next Saturday and as we are free in the morning we are going to do it again! Hubby did his in 23 minutes and wants to improve his time, so him wanting to do it will keep me going too. I will get my time down too.  I meant to get a photo of me finishing but I was so excited to still be alive I forgot! I still cant believe lazy, chubby, wine swilling, old me is an actual runner!!!!!

Exercise
5k run = burning 445 calories
Breakfast
Porridge
Water
Lunch 
Tomato soup
Bread roll
Banana
Tea
Afternoon
Strawberries 
Handful almonds
Tea
Dinner
Chicken salad
Wine

5 comments:

  1. Just to be not too confused with the UK measurements I would like to ask how many kilometres are 5k?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jens thanks for reading my blog! The k is for kilometers so it's 5 kilometers :-)Our roads are measured in miles but our sports are measured in kilometers for some reason. It seems we Brits like to embrace all things!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am so glad you took the plunge and did the run. ParkRun is a great, friendly, and non-intimidating environment to do your first 5K. Did my 2nd with them this weekend, and I plan to go every weekend that I am free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine,
    Thanks for explaining.

    You might have read on my website than I'm running too.

    I wish you all the best for the next 5k. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sam. I think I will too.

    Jens, I see you have run marathons. I'm not sure I am quite there yet :-) Thanks for the comments

    ReplyDelete