Monday 9 May 2011

Wk 2, D 7 – There’s not enough room for my lungs and this stomach. One of them has to go.

So it’s Sunday and the big thing for today is for me to start week 3 of my Get Running Couch to 5k plan. I was supposed to start it tomorrow but I didn’t want to do it on my own. There are two reasons really 1) because I didn’t want to give up half way through, which I probably would have done 2) because I was actually scared I would be sick or collapse or die or something similar. Now that would be embarrassing. Its bad enough I think everyone is pointing and laughing at me as I waddle along the tow path huffing and puffing away but if I actually collapsed as well! I expect they would have thought I deserved it for eating too much cake.

So anyway, the reason for the concern over this run is because it requires you to run TWICE for 3 minutes! I know to a lot of you that’s nothing but I assure you if you are new to running and find yourself puffing a lot after a 1 ½ minute run then it is. I know I could have redone the second week until I felt more confident but I wanted to give it a go. So I dragged hubby along with me. Not that he needed a lot of encouragement to be honest. After the 5 minute warm up I stared with the usual 1 ½ minute run which was fine. Then came the 3 minutes.  I started the run at my slow pace and found myself willing for the voice in me headphones to tell me I’ve reached the half way mark which seemed to take forever. So, I then started to focus on my wobbling bottom, thighs and tummy as I ran. Having something to focus on, other than the time, does actually make it go faster, because before I knew it I had 10 seconds left of the run! I DID IT! I was grinning from ear to ear. But I still had more to do. I then had a 3 minute walk another 1 ½ minute run and a 1 ½ minute walk again before the next 3 minute run. Plenty of time to catch my breath. The next run started and I continued to focus on the wobbly bits telling myself this is all to get rid of them. The first 1 ½ minutes was fine but then I found myself unable, it seemed, to breath deeply enough. It was as though my lungs weren’t big enough or deep enough to take in the oxygen I needed. Although, while I was thinking about this the last 10 seconds mark came up so I didn’t actually die or panic or be sick. However, at the point my lungs weren’t big enough I did start to get a sick feeling. If anyone knows the mechanics of that I would be glad to hear it. I am sure it’s to do with blood-oxygen though. Anyway, I managed the whole thing! I was really, really pleased with myself. I am now actually looking forward to the next one on Tuesday.

Exercise
Wk 3, d1 of Get Running tracked with RunKeeper including the walk back home. Used 328 calories!!!!

Food
Breakfast
2 toasts with flora pro-active light
Tea
Tea

Lunch
Glass of Rose wine
Roast Chicken pub lunch, quite big but I left some of it.

Dinner
Pasta with tuna, red peppers and a spoon of natural yogurt
Lots of water

No comments:

Post a Comment