Sunday 26 June 2011

Wk9 D6, The final run with the Get Running - Couch to 5k programme

So, today is the end of my 9 week running programme, which literally did get me "from the couch to 5k". I cannot believe how this programme has changed the way my legs look and feel. The way my lungs work, the way my whole body feels, the fact that I wouldn't, couldn't contemplate not completing the programme or not going for a run. I still cant believe that I "go out for a run"! But today is the end for the programme.

It's Saturday. Another day for the parkrun 5k run. I got ready and we went up there. Last week I was left behind with a few stragglers as I fiddled about with  runkeeper, music and getrunning on the iphone. This week I was more organised. I made my way to the middle of the crowd of 623 runners. The music was on, runkeeper found a good signal for GPS and getrunning was set to start and off we went. I started off too fast because I was swept away with the momentum of the crowd I was in. The back of my throat tightened a few minutes into the run so I slowed to my normal jogging pace and soon everything was right again. Yes, people were overtaking me, quite a lot of people actually, including an 80 year old woman wearing a parkrun 100 top. Meaning she'd done it 100 times. That will be me in 40 years, still running in my 80's. So overall the run went well. there were a couple of women my age-ish that were run/walking, as they walked I overtook them and as they ran they overtook me. Eventually they gave up and I got quite a distance between me and them. I caught up with an older man, say 50's, and overtook him, I think he saw this as competition and ran in front of me at the last minute!. I decided to open up my gait a little to go a bit faster towards the end and I'm glad I did because I beat my PB by 1.08 seconds and did it in 39 minutes and 8 seconds! I was very pleased to get below 40 minutes. I felt great at the end and hubby was there with the camera this time so here is a photo of me running...and sweating!

No comments:

Post a Comment