Tuesday 14 June 2011

Wk8 D1, Personal Best Station Run

My station run this morning was the fastest so far! After 5 minutes brisk walking I decided to go into a slowish jog to see how far I could get. It's a slight incline, it starts about 10 minutes after I get out of bed and I go sans breakfast or even a cup of tea! Energy levels at 7.30am are quite low to say the least! Anyway, apart from all that, I ran quite a lot of the way and did it in 18 minutes and 6 seconds which is a good 30 seconds faster than my best time and I wasn't feeling too death like when I got to the car! I drove home very pleased with myself.

I "accidentally" had a lemon and poppy seed muffin in Costa Coffee this afternoon with a small skinny cappuccino and it came to 572 calories!!! But the muffin was totally delicious! Before you go to Costa, if you are watching the calories, you had better look at their nutritional info here .
It's surprising that a coffee and a cake can come to as many calories as a whole dinner and also worrying that many of us treat it as a snack or forget we even ate it at all. Imagine having an extra 600 calories every day on top of 3 meals and sitting at a computer day in day out. Little wonder there is an obesity problem.  When I go running further distances more often, only then, could I justify having one of those muffins again.

Exercise
Station run burning 173 calories
Breakfast
Porridge (see recipes)
Tea
Lunch
Fish pie (see recipes)
Mini magnum (oops!)
Afternoon
Cappuccino
Lemon and poppy seed muffin
Dinner
Chicken curry (see recipes)
Rice
Wine

2 comments:

  1. Anything from a coffee shop is a killer in terms of calories. Personally I've not had anything even approximating a treat - other than the odd cider every couple of weeks - since I've started my diet, but I've found with the GI that I eat so well that I don't feel the need to cheat. If I want something sweet I eat berries or dried prunes or something like that. I don't tend to need to snack as meals are pretty filling. It really does work, and cooking for 2 when one is not on it is not too bad either as you can add pasta/potatoes/rice/couscous for the person that's not on the GI whereas I just have extra veg :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I see what you are saying Sam. Unfortunately my muffin moment was out of pure greed not need :-)

    ReplyDelete