Thursday 26 May 2011

Wk5 D4, I can run for 8 minutes! TWICE!

Today was dark and gloomy with thick, dark, grey clouds covering the sky. The weather man on the radio was telling me of "patchy rain, at times heavy and possibly thunderstorms later". Great, hmmph, Just my luck! I have two 8 minute runs to do today with the getrunning programme and I'm going to get soaked, frozen and possibly hit by a bolt of lightening! I think part of the reason for my utter dismay at the weather today was because we have had fantastic summery weather since the middle of March - quite unusual for the south East of England. And part, because I am dreading the 20 minute run due on Saturday.

I did my usual station walk this morning and decided to run part of it. My right knee hurt half way. I sat at the computer too much yesterday and when I sit for long periods I need to "click" my knees otherwise they ache. I don't know if that's age, standing most of my adult life, lack of exercise, sitting a lot in the last few years (I was at University for three years) or what, but it is a pain and I hope I am not aggravating it by running. Anyway, after my porridge I decided it's now or never, the sky looked a bit brighter, white, rather than dark grey but still no blue. I  took myself off down to the river. Today's run was for 8 minutes, then walk for 5, then run for 8 again. The first 8 minutes flew by, so much so that when the lady voice said "you have 10 seconds left" I felt I could have gone further. After the 5 minute walk the second 8 minutes was a bit harder but I still made it without too much concern. So, now I can officially run for 8 minutes straight! Pat on the back for me!!

I met my friends for lunch today and we went to a Morrocan cafe. I had the most delicious lunch of a chicken Bastilla and salad. The chicken Bastilla is a kind of chicken pie in filo pastry - very nice but impossible to guess the calories. I googled it, but every site offering the calories where different, in some cases by over 100 calories! I picked the middle one of about 250 cals as it wasn't huge or greasy. I cant wait until restaurants in the UK have calories on their menus. I hope they all do soon.

Exercise
Week 5 day 2 get running
Station walk/run at  175 cals

Breakfast
Porridge made with 40g oats, 200ml 1% milk and 10g linwoods seeds
Tea x2
Lunch
Chicken Bastilla and salad
Tea
Afternoon
49g bar of dairy milk
Tea
Dinner (not a good one as I worked until 8.45pm - too late to start cooking!)
2 x slices of bread
2 x Glass of wine

7 comments:

  1. Good luck for Saturday. I did my Wk5 Run 2 today as well - wasn't too bad, but I am still dreading the 20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, thanks Sam is yours Saturday too? I am actually scared but if we make to the end I think we will be ecstatic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup Tomorrow for me too. I am going to break with tradition and eat breakfast early before I run, give it an hour then go out after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did it! I did it! I. DID. IT. 20 minutes non-stop complete this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES ME TOO!!!!!!!!!! Celebratory lunch today I think! Sending you a big hug :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! i made do with a tuna salad ;)

    ReplyDelete